Re: Just following the trend of questioning...

Nicholas Gardner wrote:

> 6)  Luis Rey's new painting of Deinonychus includes a quote from a paper by
> Alan Gishlick in which a special design is found in the hands of
> Archaeopteryx, Confuciusornis, Deinonychus, and Velociraptor that allows the
> third finger to be used in the place of the second finger.  Regardless, the
> quote also mentions that it is possibly found in Protarchaeopteryx and
> Caudipteryx.  It is in Caudipteryx, but how about Protarchaeopteryx?  Is it
> found in any other taxa aside from the ones already mentioned?

Don't follow. Third finger in the place of second finger?  I'm pointing out
that Gishlick considers that the third finger could have been used as grasping
device almost (but not quite) opposable to the thumb while the second finger is
the one that bears the feathers.
And I don't think you are referring to the digit homology developmental theory.

Good that you bring attention to the text on that illustration anyway. It is
outdated: New, detailed paper on Caudipteryx points out that the third finger
retains only two phalanges and is virtually atrophied, clawless and maybe
almost fused to the second finger . I don't know any detailed analyses of
Protarchaopteryx hand, but as with everything that may be ourdated too.

--
Luis Rey