Re: Just following the trend of questioning...

Luis Rey wrote:
"Don't follow. Third finger in the place of second finger? I'm pointing out that Gishlick considers that the third finger could have been used as grasping device almost (but not quite) opposable to the thumb while the second finger is the one that bears the feathers."

Yes, that's what I'm trying to say.

"And I don't think you are referring to the digit homology developmental theory."

No.

"New, detailed paper on Caudipteryx points out that the third finger retains only two phalanges and is virtually atrophied, clawless and maybe almost fused to the second finger . I don't know any detailed analyses of Protarchaopteryx hand, but as with everything that may be outdated too."

Yes, I'm aware of the situation with Caudipteryx.

Nick Gardner
AIM - CloudRaptor05
n_gardner637@yahoo.com