Fwd: small dinosaurs with feathers

In a message dated 6/30/02 1:12:47 PM Pacific Daylight Time, ptnorton@msn.com writes:

I prefer the words "humans" or, even more simply, "people" over the term "Hominidae" when discussing the living taxa of the Family Hominidae.

And a good thing, too, since according to many, Hominidae would contain as many as seven living species, only one of them human...

--Nick P.
--- Begin Message ---

I prefer the words "humans" or, even more simply, "people" over the term "Hominidae" when discussing the living taxa of the Family Hominidae.  For the same reason, I prefer the word "bird" over "theropod" when discussing living taxa of Theropoda.  Unless I'm missing something, this seems to be not much more than a discussion about preferences over the use of terms that, for all intents and purposes, have the same meaning. IMHO, vernacularism should not be abandoned, at least not in this forum.

PTN
to break the mind-set of vernacularism we should, with delight, use the word (or combinations of words) "theropod" to describe living taxa.

--- End Message ---