What's Good for the Goose is Good for the Goat?

Well well, so it seems that the term "birds" is considered outmoded these
days. Since we must always officially use the term "avian theropods" instead,
we'd better start moving on to other vertebrates. Instead of discussing
mammals from now on, we'll have to start calling them therapsids, since
mammals are just derived therapsids, aren't they? Likewise, there will be no
further use of the term "reptiles", since these are simply highly evolved
amphibians...hey, wait a minute, amphibians came from FISH! All this begs the
question, when does one taxon end and the other begin? Granted, it's true
that our traditional terms for vertebrate classes are in many ways historical
conveniences and need to be reexamined, but some of these are legitimate
systematic constructs for vertebrates that became so highly evolved from
their ancestors that they became a new form of life. I rejoice that dinosaurs
are still with us in this sense, but we needn't deny the amazing adaptations
and qualities of the creatures that are their descendants, the birds....

Mark Hallett, paleoartist