Re: Ankylosaurs, Stegosaurs, and other fun things..

Buckaroobwana@aol.com wrote:

> Greetings all,
> What is the precise relationship between Stegosaurs and Ankylosaurs?
> Is it an ancestor/decendant one? Or are they both derived from a
> common ancestor? it's something I've been wondering about lately.

Unless the accepted theory has changed since the last time I read about
it (I tend to be better at keeping up with the shifting sands of
taxonomy when it comes to theropods, rather than ornithischians), the
Stegosauria and Ankylosauria are considered to be sister clades, and it
is likely that the common ancestor of stegosaurs and ankylosaurs looked
something like _Scelidosaurus_ or _Scutellosaurus_.

Yep, here's what the Dinosauricon says, simplified a bit:

--THYREOPHORA
   |-- _Scutellosaurus_
   `--THYREOPHOROIDEA
       |-- _Emausaurus_