Psittacosaurus queries

Hey all,
For some additional non-theropod discussion...:

I'm currently trying to use the literature to discern any possible characters
that might be able to divide _Psittacosaurus_ into two or more genera, as Jaime
Headden and Pete Buchholz have both discussed onlist before.  I have a few
brief questions:

First, there seems to be some confusion among different authors (okay,
basically among the exact same author: Paul Sereno) about the presence of
antorbital fossae in _Psittacosaurus_.  Based on all drawings and material I
have seen there is definitely no antorbital fossa present in any known
specimen.  Most of the literature directly says this.  However, in _Dinosaur
Systematics_ Sereno comments that _Psittacosaurus mongoliensis_ is diagnosed by
its small, triangular antorbital fossa.  However, in _The Dinosauria_, which
was published in the same year, he calls the exact same structure a depression
and writes that it "should not be confused with the antorbital fossa in other
dinosaurs."  In the 2001 book _The Age of Dinosaurs in Russia and Mongolia_,
Sereno seems to clarify himself by stating that _Psittacosaurus_ does not
possess said structure, which to me seems to be correct.  But, to add some more
confusion, in _The Horned Dinosaurs_, Peter Dodson calls the structure an !
an!
!
orbital FORAMEN.

I am fairly sure that _Psittacosaurus_ does not possess a true antorbital fossa
(or fenestra), and that this is diagnostic of the genus.  But, am I wrong here?

Also, in his 2001 paper Sereno only recognizes six species (he discounts _P.
sattayaraki_ and _P. mazongshanensis_ due to the paucity of both material and
any diagnostic characters).  However, I had once read (maybe onlist) that seven
species were recognized.  Sereno sees these as valid: _P. mongoliensis_, _P.
sinensis_, _P. neimongoliensis_, _P. ordosensis_, _P. xinjiangensis_, and _P.
meileyingensis_.  Am I missing any valid species?  Of coures, some of the
others (_P. osborni_, _P. tingi_, and _P. guyangensis_ ) might be valid, but
likely not.

Finally, I have a very difficult time accessing much of the literature,
including, for the time being, papers in _Science_, _Nature_, and _JVP_.  If
anyone could e-mail me scans or copies of Sereno and Chao 1988 (JVP
14:353-365); Sereno, Chao, Cheng, and Rao 1988 (JVP 14: 366-377); Cheng, Zhao,
and Xu 1999 (JVP 19: 681-691); and the descriptions of _P. neimongoliensis_ and
_P. ordosensis_, I would be forever indebted! :-)  I would especially
appreciate scans of photos or line drawings of the skulls.  And, if scans are
impossible or difficult to send, if someone would list any diagnostic
characters or other interesting osteological features (especially those
regarding the premaxilla-maxilla-lacrimal-jugal joint, maxillary secondary
depression, lacrimal foramen, and dentary) it would also be appreciated.

Any scans or files can be sent to my other e-mail address,
brusatte@uchicago.edu, which I will start using more as I begin my
undergraduate education at the University of Chicago in September.

Thanks, thanks, thanks!

Steve

---
Steve Brusatte-DINO LAND PALEONTOLOGY
SITE: http://www.geocities.com/stegob

Supercharge your e-mail with a 25MB Inbox, POP3 Access, No Ads
and NoTaglines --> LYCOS MAIL PLUS.