Re: Psittacosaurus queries

On Wed, 3 Jul 2002 23:58:46
 NJPharris wrote:
>In a message dated 7/3/02 6:03:35 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
>dinoland@lycos.com writes:
>

>> >Moreover, in all the Psittacosaurus species the rostral bone
>> >contact the slender rostroventral processes of the nasal, a features absent
>> >in all the other Neoceratopsia, perhaps this is another diagnostic features
>> >of the genus.
>>
>> It most certainly is.
>
>Tough to tell the polarity on this one, though, since all outgroups to
>{*Psittacosaurus* + Neoceratopsia} lack rostral bones altogether!

Most definitely.  It's next to impossible to discern the polarity of any
rostral feature that differs between psittacosaurs and Neoceratopsia.  So, the
condition in _Psittacosaurus_ might be the primitive condition, or it might be
the derived condition.  Who knows.  However, I don't know of any
neoceratopsians that possess the rostroventral process of the nasal contacting
the rostal bone, so at the least we can say it is diagnostic of
_Psittacosaurus_.  However, I'm unsure of state in _Chaoyangsaurus_ and
_Liaoceratops_.  (And, thanks to Luc for posting the _Chaoyangsaurus link!).

Have a happy holiday (and for all non-Americans, er uh, have a happy ordinary
day).

Steve

---
Steve Brusatte-DINO LAND PALEONTOLOGY
SITE: http://www.geocities.com/stegob

Supercharge your e-mail with a 25MB Inbox, POP3 Access, No Ads
and NoTaglines --> LYCOS MAIL PLUS.