"lateral vein"

Well, since I'm apparently clueless on the subject, and can't find info anywhere else, I figured I might as well ask: what's the deal with that giant vein that is shown running laterally down the neck and across the belly of so many illustrated dinosaurs (especially apparent in the works of Greg Paul)? If memory serves me correct, I seem to recall seeing something similar in cattle. Is it certain by any means that dinosaurs had this? Would I be wrong in leaving out of an illustration?

Thanks,

Jordan Mallon

AIM: jslice mallon