Re: "lateral vein"

Jordan Mallon (j_mallon@hotmail.com) wrote:

<Really?  I could almost swear it looks like some kind of giant vein or
artery...>

  Mammals appear to have one huge subcutaneous trunk vein merely because
they are mammals and have thin skin. The condition in reptiles is
different, and predominantly in the art of folks like Sibbick and some
cases Paul, the reptilian condition of a set of folds or single
trunk-siude fold of  skin is used because of the quality of the "scaled
skin". You will see this in living reptiles in most lizards, if not
crocodilians (which are armored and would not typically show much of
anything subcutaneous), and especially so in varanids. That said, the
comparison is used to illustrate similarity sometimes in the short,
nodular scalation of varanoids, which dinosaurs also had. Bare skin should
be compared to mammals, perhaps, or the folds of some "pachyderms" like
smaller rhinos, or elephants.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden