Re: "lateral vein"

j_mallon@hotmail.com writes:

<< Really?  I could almost swear it looks like some kind of giant vein or
artery... >>

       I've never thought of it that way, but I can see what you mean. They
do have a veiny look. I (unfortunately) had a female collared lizard named
Daisy when I was a kid. She had the same structure on her sides on the
outside of the ribs. It was a fold of very thin and loose skin. I loved to
watch her run on her hindlegs like a little tyrannosaur. Other iguanids and
varanids show this too. I don't know if he was the first, but Chas.R.Knight
showed this feature on his dinosaurs quite often and made them quite
decorative.
       I now always restore my mosasaurs with thick, wrinkled throats. You
have to have some stretchin' room when you swallow big things whole. DV