Re: Dino that hopped like a Kangaroo?

"Jaime A. Headden" wrote:
> Art Sippo (ArtSippo@aol.com) wrote:

> <I recall reading that there was a theropod that it was speculated could
> have hopped in a manner similar to that of the kangaroo.  Does anyone know
> which dinosaur that would be?>

>   This would have been the oft-suggested rabbit crocs, which some regard
> as basal theropods.

They might also be thinking of _Dryptosaurus aquilungis_. I could be
totally mistaken (it's been a long time since I seem to remember reading
this), but IIRC, someone back in the 19th century (for some reason I
think it was Marsh) suggested they could hop like kangaroos, and in fact
I think there is a familiar Charles Knight painting showing one
dryptosaur leaping up in the air over another.

If I'm remembering all this right, the idea was discredited long ago,
but still mentioned occasionally in a book here or there. In any event,
it was probably linked with the old 'tripod' view of theropod stance,
with the trunk held almost vertically and the tail on the ground.

Now that I think of it, this person might also be thinking of
_Ceratosaurus nasicornis_. Bakker has suggested that they could have
bounced on their tails to lash out with their claws at rivals during
intraspecies displays, and Gregory Paul's first published dinosaur
drawing shows on such ceratosaur bouncing on its tail like a kangaroo.
(Or a Tigger, kind of.)

Just looked up the naming of _Dryptosaurus_ and it was probably Cope who
suggested the leaping, not Marsh, since Cope was the one who originally
named the species _Laelaps_, which is in fact a reference to a
mythological creature (a dog, I believe) who was associated with
leaping.

--
--Sean
http://www.livejournal.com/users/spclsd223/