Re: "lateral vein"

In a message dated 7/6/02 5:45:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time, NJPharris@aol.com writes:

 <<  I now always restore my mosasaurs with thick, wrinkled throats. You
have to have some stretchin' room when you swallow big things whole. DV

Doesn't sound very hydrodynamic, though.  Rorqual-style pleats? >>

No. Absolutely not. Just standard-issue varanid throats scaled up a bit. See a Komodo Dragon swallowing something huge. Or look at one of it's more aquatic relatives. Rorqual-style pleats are designed to expand and engulf vast quantities of water and krill (or small fish) then expel the water, retaining the food. In the case of the predatory mosasaurs the feeding proceedure was pretty much a one-way deal. Although they were thoroughly aquatic, I would hesitate to characterize them as especially hydrodynamic vis-a-vis rorqual whales. That would be a stretch. DV