E: Chilantaisaurus Segnosaur Material

  Mickey sent me this citation.

Dong, Z. (1979). [The Cretaceous dinosaur fossils in southern China]. In:
Mesozoic and Cenozoic Red Beds in Southern China. Inst. Vert. Paleontol.
Paleoanthropol. Nanjing Geol. Paleontol. Inst. Sci.. Press, Beijing.
Pp.342-350. (In Chinese).

  I also have Dong's book, but it lists only *C. maortuensis* and *C.
tashuikouensis*. The material I have are two manual digits, of which the
metacarpalsd are short and robust, and the manual unguals are deeply
grooved laterally with a channel that runs dorsally with a lip-like
expansion of the proximal articular end; the ungual is also strongly
hooked. Other than that, I cannot see any other segnosaurian features.

  As for *Chilantaisaurus tashuikouensis*, the humerus is peculiar in that
it reminds me of a pterosaurs, and lacks a channel between distal condyli.
There is no distinct adductor process (medial tuberosity or, as Mickey
tells me, Baumel and Witmer's completely ignominous "processus
ventralis"); the edge of the deltopectoral crests is very thickened
distally, and does not appear to be part of a broken margin; there is only
an ectepicondylar crest, and otherwise the humerus does not resemble a
segnosaur's unless it has gone through some intense transformation.
Meanwhile, the manual unguals applied to the taxon resemble those of *C.
zheziangensis* but lack a dorsoproximal "lip."

  Anyway,

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden