RE: Dinosaur crests (long)

Tim Williams (TiJaWi@agron.iastate.edu) wrote:

<I would agree - and this is perhaps true for the cranial ornamentation
seen in many other theropods.  However, those for theropods that have
hollow or pneumatic crests that opened into the skull, maybe the crests
had an additional thermoregulatory function.  Jaime, what's your opinion
for oviraptorids?>

  Cranial pneumaticity in oviraptorids is pretty complex, and is the most
extensive system in theropod dinosaurs. This includes large caudal and
dorsal pneumatic cavities, all connected to the nasal passage in one way
or another. This can be linked to repsiratory function, something not seen
in casqued birds like cassowaries and hornbills, but similar to
lambeosaurines. Environmentally, forms with abd without crests occur in
drier or hotter climates, and *Oviraptor mongoliensis* has the largest
crest and was a Nemegt (i.e., wetlands) taxon. Same for the Hell Creek
(paleo-savannah) forms of caenagnathid.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden