RE: Chilantaisaurus Segnosaur Material

Tracy Ford (dino.hunter@cox.net) wrote:

<Me two.  I've talked to several theropod experts about that and they say
it's a theropod and that there are other theropods with that huge
delta-pectorical crest (what ever it's called).  But I haven't seen
another theropod with that.  If it was a pterosaur it'd be a mighty huge
one.  But to find the type in China and examine it is a problem.  I'm not
sure anyone knows where it is right now.>

  It may be a case of institutional borrowing, then loss in some
institution backdrawer. I'd hate to see such an interesting humerus lost.
However, this thing I agree is most definately a theropod. It is further
distinct on the absence of much cranial extension of the distal condtyles.
Nonetheless, a curious taxon. Fortunately, Chure has looked at *C.
maortuensis* and concluded it is not the same taxon, and that the only
species that deserves the name *Chilantaisaurus* is *C. tashuikouensis*.
Anyway, the lack of a level or declined femoral caput, rounded condyle,
lack of a deep ventral chennel for the distal epiphysis, a large aliform
anterior trochanter that extends cranial to the femoral caput, and was
probably lower than it, a short and not prominent fourth trochanter,
larger tibial condyle than fibular and with the groove between tibial
condyle and the tibiofibular crest being partially pinched; the tibia has
no defined fossa for the ascending process of the astragalus, an elongated
cnemial process that is partially elevated, and does not curved far
laterally but projects cranially, short fibular crest, larger and deeper
lateral malleolus; no prominent adductor crest of the fibular; the fourth
metatarsal is very robust, and wider than either of the other two primary
metatarsals, and the third is not L-shaped but is triangular in proximal
aspect, as is the fourth. These suggest it is not (1) a coelurosaur, (2) a
ceratosaur in the strictist sense, or (3) an allosaur of the *Allosaurus*
grade; so, possibly a tetanuran of unknown or unique gradient.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden