From: Dino Rampage [mailto:dino_rampage@hotmail.com]\par
Sent: Monday, July 08, 2002 12:37 PM\par
To: dinosaur@usc.edu\par
Subject: Yup, back with more questions : )\par
\par
Hey hi everyone, it's me again to bother you with more questions. I know I \par
haven't been around here for quite a while, I've been a little busy. I \par
forgot to tell you in my self-intro that I'm currently serving my 2 1/2 year \par
National Service as a defender of my sovereign nation (sounds really \par
patriotic, doesn't it?) and August 9 is my country's National Day. Every \par
year, Singapore organises a really grand parade and bash for all our \par
citizens, and needless to say, our armed forces contribute a lot, in \par
manpower, logistics and operations. Hence, the time I spend in front of a \par
computer is considerably reduced for the next two months, since most of the \par
time I'm at the stadium helping out for the rehearsals. (But more on that \par
later...)\par
\par
Well, here's my questions:\par
\par
1) It seems that virtually all Mesozoic marine reptiles were live-bearing, \par
especially ichthyosaurs, elasmosaurs, pliosaurs, polycotylids and mosasaurs. \par
How about the other marine reptiles, like placodonts and "nothosaurs". It's \par
certain that the turtles were laying eggs, how about the seagoing crocs like \par
Teleosaurus, Steneosaurus, Metriorhynchus, Geosaurus & Thoracosaurus \par
(egg-laying as well, right?)\par
\par
2) I've read that elasmosaur necks were not at all that flexible, and were a \par
little just like diplodocid necks, being unable to move much vertically as \par
well as horizontally. That would mean that those drawings of elasmosaurs \par
with their necks curved to have them looking behind them are erroneous. How \par
true is this? And why then did elasmosaurs evolve such long necks (sounds a \par
lot like asking why sauropods & giraffes also evolved long necks)\par
\par
3) Were there marine snakes in the Mesozoic? I know hydrophine and \par
laticaudine elapids (ie sea snakes & sea kraits) evolved only in the \par
Cenozoic. How about the more basal acrochordids (wart snakes, file snakes) \par
This is a small family of 3 southeast asian & australian snakes, which are \par
very sluggish, have very saggy & loose skin and wholly aquatic, giving birth \par
to live young. Are there fossil acrochordids? And what about those \par
paleophids? Are they marine snakes & did they live during the Mesozoic?\par
\par
4) And whle we're at marine reptiles, what genera & species were around at \par
the time of the Campanian & the Maastrichtian in North America?? And what \par
about the birds, ammonites, pterosaurs & fish also? Which marine fauna are \par
present only in the Turonian & Santonian & which are present & which was \par
present only after that? (And which were around throughout the entire Late \par
Cretaceous?)\par
\par
\par
\par