Re: "Hibernation" in large, extant therapods

On Sun, 7 Jul 2002 NJPharris@aol.com wrote:

> Nonetheless, the same point as about hibernation applies here:  if an
> endotherm is not already specially adapted to go without food for that length
> of time, it won't suddenly become able to do so when an ecological
> catastrophe hits.

I agree with you relative to crocs (I hesitate to claim this was likely a
widely used practice among dinosaurs). However, if some
percentage of tropical dinosaurs used this
strategy, and zero percentage of mammals (because either they were
viviparous or had better ways of concealing their eggs, i.e., they were
small), the "hibernation" card is more likely to favor dinos than mammals.

In short, relative to dinosaurs, hibernation is more likely to favor
crocs, less likely to favor mammals.