Re: An Odd Question on Tyrannosaurs.....

Posted for Chris Brochu:
_________

Nick Longrich said:

>Brochu showed at the mexico SVP meeting that Lambe's Gorgosaurus
>"sternum" is actually two fused pairs of gastralia,

A note of caution - I showed that the Albertosaurus "sternum" *might*
be the anteriormost fused gastralia.  Since I didn't see the
"sternum" during my last visit to Ottawa, this needs to be
cross-checked.  My conclusion was based on the fact that a big
triangular mass of bone is present between the anteriormost gastralia
in Tyrannosaurus (at least 2 specimens) and Tarbosaurus (at least one
figured by Maleev), and the bone figured by Lambe *looks* like it
could be this.  Moreover, other very complete tyrannosaurid skeletons
lack an unambiguous bony sternum.  But, no firm conclusions have been
drawn yet.

Clark et al's 1999 description of the nesting oviraptorid has the
most complete discussion to date of the distribution of sternal and
gastralial characters among theropods, though they accepted Lambe's
identification of the odd bone in Albertosaurus as a sternum.

chris

--
Christopher A. Brochu

christopher-brochu@uiowa.edu