Re: Noasaurids (Re: Late Triassic Footprints with Reversed Hallux)

Mike Keesey (mightyodinn@yahoo.com or keesey@bigfoot.com) wrote:

<Interesting ... so it's possible that there are other forms with reversed
first pedal digits, and we'd never know without an articulated specimen?>

  This is true. An articulated, in position first metatarsal is not even
present in some maniraptoran specimens, such as dromaeosaurs, leaving one
to some speculation. While it's possible noasaurids had such first digits,
this would have to be for some mechanical reason, perhaps for
branch-walking or climbing, which could be suggested for the sickle claw
as an aid. The design of the claws in the various groups differs, however,
one being shorter and less recurved than the other, but relatively deeper
with an apparent more distal tendinous anchor on the ventrolateral edge of
the ungual. I do not see this as a climbing claw, but I can be surprised.
This would suggest the lack of a reversed hallux.

I wrote:

<<*Quilmesaurus curriei*>>

  Keesey wrote:

<Wasn't this described as a theropod of uncertain affinities?>

  Yes, it was. However, as I noted on my report of the book, _Mesozoic
Vertebrate Life_ a while ago, this form does possess several ceratosaurian
features that permit me to be more thourough than Coria at the time of
publication; he may have been able to come to the same conclusion later,
or with a different opinion, but it is clear there are definite affinities
of this tibia.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden