Re: Noasaurids (Re: Late Triassic Footprints with Reversed Hallux)

Steve Brusatte (dinoland@lycos.com) wrote:

<Yeah, I don't recall Coria assigning _Quilmesaurus_ to the abelisaur
lineage.  IIRC, he described it as unusual and exhibited some features
that link it with _Ceratosaurus_, _Giganotosaurus_, and some other forms.>

  I thought this very peculiar. I think he was thinking in terms of
provincial taxon. He quite extensively used a local taxon,
*Giganotosaurus*, which would fit considering his work on the taxon.

<Interestingly, to me, is that it shows a well-developed cnemial crest,
which is similar to the condition in _Genusaurus_.  Perhaps this cnemial
crest might be primitive among the Theropoda, or maybe it is a
synapomorphy of a basal abelisaur group.  I don't know nearly enough about
theropods to speculate further.>

  Well, you'll see where my investigations brought me in a little while.

<Ah, yes.  Great!  I look forward to Jaime's illustrations of this taxon.
It's a rather unique dinosaur, being so primitive yet being found so late
in the Cretaceous of France.  When you say it is a "ceratosaur with
features similar to basal abelisaurs," are you perhaps indicating that it
might indeed turn out to be a bona fide abelisaur?  That would be very
interesting...and would only confound the temporal and geographical
situation.>

  While it's obvious I do not take much priority concern over many things
that I intend to publish, I will indicate that I agree to the abelisaur
nature of this taxon for some reasons, but details will be vague even on
the website. I am working on a publishable version of this phylogeny,
which obviously requires a systematic analysis. Krause et al. are also
working on the relationships of other abelisaurs, and the publication of
*Aucasaurus* finally makes things much better. :) As for biogeography, or
phylogeography (not exactly the same thing) this is largely a matter of
how far back the splits occur. There are likely to be many key African
taxa (Madagascar does not count), and some of the Indian material has also
been alluded to by Krause et al. (*Laevisuchus*) to be similar to
*Noasaurus* and *Masiakasaurus*).

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden