Re: Dinosaur News

Ben Creisler wrote-

> Nath T.T., Yadagiri, P. & Moitra, A.K., 2002. First record
> of armoured dinosaur from the Lower Jurassic Kota
> Formation, Pranhita-Godavari Valley, Andhra Pradesh.
> JOURNAL OF THE GEOLOGICAL SOCIETY OF INDIA. 59 (6) : 575-
> 577 (June 2002).
> For the first time, skeletal remains of an armoured
> dinosaur (Ornithischia: Ankylosauria) were found in the
> red clay bed of the Kota Formation, Pranhita-Godavari
> Valley, Andhra Pradesh.

Wonder if this is actually an ankylosaur, or if it's a more basal
thyreophoran like Scelidosaurus....

This should be compared to- http://www.2dgf.dk/online/thefin.htm .

> RIFF, DOUGLAS RIFF, ALEXANDER W.A. KELLNER, BRYN MADER &
> DALE RUSSELL 2002. ON THE OCCURRENCE OF AN AVIAN VERTEBRA
> IN CRETACEOUS
> STRATA OF MOROCCO, AFRICA. Anais da Academia Brasileira de
> Ciências 74 (2): 367-368.
> The characteristics of this vertebra differ from the main
> avian clades (Alvarezsauridae, Confunciornithidae,
> Enantiornithes, Hesperornithiformes, Icthyornithiformes,
> Neornithes). The main similarities of the Moroccan
> specimen are observed in the dorsal vertebrae of Rahona
> ostromi, a basal bird from the Late Cretaceous of
> Madagascar. Notwithstanding, some differences such as the
> neural canal, which is larger in the Moroccan specimen,
> and the presence of pleurocoels in Rahona ostromi suggest
> that NMC 50852 belongs to a different taxon of basal
> birds. - ( December 20, 2001 ).

Amphicoelous centra are common in non-euornithine birds, but most also have
pleurocoels.  Sapeornis does not though, so perhaps it is closest to this
new form.  The poor description of most basal birds makes this very
tentative though.  Another possibility is a more basal avialan without
dorsal pleurocoels, like Microraptor.  We don't know exactly when the high
neural canal evolved.  Would be nice to know if the parapophysis was
centrally placed (like Protopteryx and enantiornithines), or positioned more
anteriorly.

> Trotta, Marcelo N.F. 2002. MORPHOLOGICAL VARIATION AMONG
> THE APPENDICULAR BONES OF THE TITANOSAURIDAE (DINOSAURIA:
> SAUROPODA) FROM THE BAURU BASIN (UPPER CRETACEOUS) OF
> PEIRÓPOLIS (MG), BRAZIL.  Anais da Academia Brasileira de
> Ciências 74 (2): 366.

Good.  Now we have the sacra and appendicular parts done.  Need the rest of
the vertebrae and the cranial remains, and then someone just needs to put it
all together and figure out exactly how many taxa are present, and what they
are.  This Bauru stuff will get finished someday. :-)

Mickey Mortimer