RE: ABOUT THE REVERSED HALLUX AND...

Emma Rainforth wrote:

> Ok, back to Steropoides: about all you can say is it's a dinosaur with 3
> anteriorly-directed digits and a highly variable hallux impression
> (variability largely due to difference in preservation between
> specimens).

Firstly, thanks for the informative reply.

Secondly, I'll remember to take Lull's interpretations of tracks with a
grain of sodium chloride.

Thirdly, what do you mean by 'highly variable hallux impression' - relative
*position* or *relative depth* compared to the front digits?  I ask because
Melchor et al. (2002) noted that tridactyl and quadrupedal footprints from
Argentina were identical except for the presence of a hallucal impression.
In other words, the hallux (being higher than the amterior digits) was
captured only when the foot sunk deep enough in the sediment.

Tim

Timothy J. Williams, Ph.D.

USDA-ARS Researcher
Agronomy Hall