RE: New finds

I've already sent this to the list once, but that was several hours ago...

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002
>Jean-Michel Benoit wrote:
>
>> * a new fairly complete skeletton of a sauropod (72 My old, about 12m
>> long) found in the south of France (near Carcassonne). The reporter
>> calld it "an empelosaur(?)"

I would assume the reporter was indicating it was an "ampelosaur," and by that
meaning it can either be referred to _Ampelosaurus_ (or maybe even the species
_A. atacis_), or is a titanosaurid closely related to _Ampelosaurus_.

_Ampelosaurus_ is from Campagne-sur-Aude, which, IIRC, is near Carcassonne
(probably about 30-40 km away).  Coincidentally, Carcassonne itself is a city
out of time; it's a Medieval walled city with, of all things, a "Museum of
Pain"!

_Ampelosaurus_ was, only described* as being found in the Lower Maastrichtian.
No absolute date was given.  Maybe this will turn out to be a new species?

Steve

*Le Loeuff, J.  1995.  Ampelosaurus atacis (nov. gen., nov. sp.), un nouveau
Titanosauridae (Dinosauria, Sauropoda) du Cretace superieur de la Haute Vallee
de l'Aude (France).  Comptes Rendus de l'Academie des Sciences Paris 321 (ser.
IIa): 693-699.

---
Steve Brusatte-DINO LAND PALEONTOLOGY
SITE: http://www.geocities.com/stegob

Supercharge your e-mail with a 25MB Inbox, POP3 Access, No Ads
and NoTaglines --> LYCOS MAIL PLUS.