Re: New finds

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002 20:45:54
 Jean-Michel BENOIT wrote:
>Hi all
>don't know if this has been mentionned onlist yet, I just saw it broadcast
>in the news a few minutes ago :
>* a new pre-anthropoid found in Chad. 7 MY old. They call him "Tumaï". They
>dont know as of yet if it's more closely related to hominids or monkeys.
>They think it might be close to the separation between the 2 lineages but
>before or after is the big question
>* a new fairly complete skeletton of a sauropod (72 My old, about 12m long)
>found in the south of France (near Carcassonne). The reporter calld it "an
>empelosaur(?)"

I did see a nice photo of the skull of _Sahelanthropus_ in the local newspaper
today.  Very cool taxon.

As for the dinosaur...no, I haven't heard anything about it, but I assume the
reporter was indicating it was an "ampelosaur."  By that, the scientists
excavating or studying the specimen are probably indicating that it either can
be referred to the titanosaurid genus _Ampelosaurus_ (and possibly the species
_A. atacis_), or that it is a titanosaurid closely related to _Ampelosaurus_.

The holotype of _Ampelosaurus_ was found at Campagne-sur-Aude, France, which is
very close (probably within 20-40 km) of Carcassonne (which, by the way, is an
unbelievably beautiful walled Medieval village where car commercials are often
taped and lists among its attractions a "Museum of Pain"!).  _Ampelosaurus_ is
lower Maastrichtian in age, but no absolute age, IIRC, was mentioned in its
description*.

Steve

*Le Loeuff, J.  1995.  Ampelosaurus atacis (nov. gen., nov. sp.), un nouveau
Titanosauridae (Dinosauria, Sauropoda) du Cretace superieur de la Haute Vallee
de l'Aude (France).  Comptes Rendus de l'Academis des Sciences Paris 321 (ser.
IIa): 693-699.

---
Steve Brusatte-DINO LAND PALEONTOLOGY
SITE: http://www.geocities.com/stegob

Supercharge your e-mail with a 25MB Inbox, POP3 Access, No Ads
and NoTaglines --> LYCOS MAIL PLUS.