Re: Overlooked 2001 publication and SVP abstracts

Stephen Pickering (StephanPickering@cs.com) wrote:

<Their taxonomy, osteology, and hypodigms have been developed by me
(revising, updating the unpublished mss. by Sam Welles, which he gave to
me along with all of the photographs and negatives), and will be appearing
by December or January on the WWW. An actual paper publication of the
mss., Mutanda Dinosaurologica, is being considered also. These basal
Tetanurae (Megalosaurus, Metriacanthosaurus, Eustreptospondylus,
Poecilopleuron) are sister taxa to Avetheropoda's Allosaurus.>

  This is such an antiquated view, now I know this is Welles' manuscript;
it sounds like his style, somewhere back in the 80's. It's ancient; and
maybe one should actually try to update it. Compeletely ignores
*Torvosaurus*, the allosauroid affinities suggested of
*Metriacanthosaurus*, and misspells *Poekilopleuron* (a spelling firmly
established by Eudes-Deslongchamps). Also, the taxonomy, until published
in hardcopy of some form meeting ICZN requirements, does not count as
"published."

  Quibbling over,

  Cheers,

=====