On Why This Is A Hennigian Comb

----- Original Message -----
From: <Dinogeorge@aol.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2002 6:47 PM
Subject: Re: New finds

> >  --+--+-----------A
> >    |  `--+--+-----B
> >    |     |  `--+--C
> >    |     |     `--D
> >    |     `--------E
> >    `--------------F
>
> This is >not< a Hennigian comb. Only the entire ABCDE clade and the F
lineage
> make a (two-toothed) Hennigian comb in this cladogram. In a Hennigian comb
> the side branches are left unbranched, like the teeth of a comb. Hence the
> name.

This _is_ a Hennigian comb, because in a cladogram, _only_ topology counts.
A cladogram is a mobile. Look at the following -- it's exactly the same
cladogram as above:

--+--F
  `--+--A
     `--+--E
        `--+--B
           `--+--D
              `--C

... what a side branch is lies completely in the hand of the presentator.
All I did was I rotated a few stems around their long axes.