RE: New finds

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002 18:07:12
 Tracy L. Ford wrote:

> [...]

Hey now! :-)  Actually, there is a major problem with science reporting.  I was
fortunate enough to listen to a talk on this subject recently in San Diego
(given by a young science reporter who recently graduated from Berkeley with a
degree in biology or biochemistry, or something like that).  The major problem
is this: science, at its deepest level, is just too technical.  If I were to
write a story on, say, physics, I'm sure a physics mailing list could pick it
apart.  When someone is an expert on a subject (as many on this list are), then
it is easy to catch mistakes.  However, I'm sure that very few of the locals
who read or listened to the "ampelosaur" story knows what _Ampelosaurus_ is,
much less a titanosaurid, and, probably, even much less a sauropod.

Therefore, I wouldn't hold the press lower than (_blank_).  Misspellings, bad
grammar, and bias are valid reasons to criticize the press, but, the press has
a job to serve the public and present news of value to the common people.  A
technical article on _Ampelosaurus_ would not be of any real value to the
average person who reads a newspaper.  An article on a dinosaur discovery, with
a mention of how it might relate to a previous discovery, is of interest,
however.

When it comes down to it, the upper levels of science are just too technical
for those who have not studied it to understand.  As a result, those
technicalities are of no value to the public.  In a science magazine, like New
Scientist, however, the stories must be held to a higher standard.  Luckily,
people like Jeff Hecht (and other gifted science reporters like Carl Zimmer) do
an excellent job.

Steve

---
Steve Brusatte-DINO LAND PALEONTOLOGY
SITE: http://www.geocities.com/stegob

Supercharge your e-mail with a 25MB Inbox, POP3 Access, No Ads
and NoTaglines --> LYCOS MAIL PLUS.