Re: Skull crests

>(re: Dilophosaurus: it is not the size of the crests which are relevant, but their functionality relative to the brain, not necessarily their sexual display utilizations)<
But, the crests themselves are not located over the brain cavity. Yeah, I know that blood vessels and what not could help transport cool blood, but the longer the blood travels inside the body, the warmer it will get. You could probably make a case for _Cryolophosaurus_ using its crest as a radiator, seeing as how it was located directly over the brain cavity (geography of the specimen is something else though).
Also, Dilophosaurus didn't really have much gray matter to cool down...assuming that all dinosaurs from day one (almost) on were endothermic, I'm pretty sure that its internal metabolic systems were capable of dealing with brain temperature.
Furthermore, the work that I have done (that sounds cocky, doesn't it?) suggests that the postcrania of known _Dilophosaurus_ specimens don't show notable dimorphism (*remember that it's a small sample size here, so this isn't gospel or anything, but I think its a good start), but if you'll remember in your copy of Dinosaur Systematics, Molnar (IIRC) mentions that animals with large cranial features tend to not show much if any body differences, and tend to only show dimorphism in the skull...seeing that we only have one really good skull with a crest, its kinda hard to determine if there's anything going on there.
It's also perhaps important to consider the environment. The Kayenta was deposited by a series of large streams, both perennial and ephemeral. From my understanding of the paleoenvironment, based on literature, and my own work, a scene from time here in Northern Arizona probably was wooded, with many large and small streams flowing through the forest, and an occasional dune field. If you look at modern animals, particularly elephants, you'll see that while African Elephants possess large ears used for display and thermoregulation to some extent, their Indian cousins have much reduced ears, still used for display, but are forest dwellers. Does this imply that even in hot forests, external thermoregulatory apparatus are less important? I think it might indicate that, but as I said in a previous post, I can't really think of any animal that has external ornamentation designed _solely_ for thermoregulation, so my idea may be hard to test.
Does anyone think that ceratopsians used their frills as thermoregulatory devices? In the animals with open frill fenestrae, the flesh would certainly act as a better conductor of heat than bone.
Anyways, thanks for reading, if you made it all the way to the bottom of this massive tome...and thanks for the ref's, Stephan...I'll be sure to check them out.
Peace,
Rob

Student of Geology
P.O. Box 20840