SPECULATION: SAUROPODS AS SEISMIC SENSORS?

    The link, below, is to a BBC article about the possibility that
ELEPHANTS may monitor seismic 'signals' as a method of gaining knowledge of
distant events:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_2129000/2129395.stm

    After reading the article, one could wonder whether sauropods might have
'communicated' in the way suggested.  Their great weight and large feet
firmly against the ground might make a good situation to conduct
ground-transmitted waves to a bodily sensor. And, even more speculatively,
one might wonder whether a long, horizontal neck might even have aided in
sensing seismic waves, somehow.

    Please read the article before deciding whether my speculation might be
reasonable.  Even if reasonable, it may not be factual, but the idea is
offered as food for thought.  Perhaps those seismic waves produced by a T.
rex walking in Jurassic Park were just what [if, e.g., we replace T. rex
with an Acrocanthosaurus and the glass of water with an Pleurocoelus -- :)]
was needed to alert a sauropod that a predator was approaching, or of the
proximity or the approach of regression of other sauropods, etc.

    Dr. Matt Bonnan, are you listening?  -- seismically?  :)

    Ray Stanford