Re: Zallinger Dinosaur Art

> << Rudy Zallinger's work was the
> single, most compelling influence in my developing an interest in
dinosaurs
> ( as a kid ) and ultimately a career as a paleo artist.  >>
>
>        I'm glad you enjoyed that site, Mike. I can sometimes feel the
> Zallinger influence in your work. Your Tylosaurus in particular seems to
be
> swimming in a Rudy sea below Zallinger clouds. His water scenes were
always
> inviting.

*** Thanks Dan! Coming from a man of your talent, I have to say that is one
of the nicest compliments I have ever received.

>        I tried with no success to get the 60's Sinclair dinosaur stamps
> painted by Paul Calle, who went on to paint mountain men and the old west.
> Coincidentally, my intro to the Zallinger cards was Brian Franczak also.
He
> sent me a color xerox of the complete set. Do you know what his media was
for
> these paintings? DV

*** I'm quite familiar with Calle's "early explorer / mountain men" theme,
but had no idea he had ever produced any dinosaur material.

***As for Zallinger, there has alway seemed to be so little information,
particularly on the collectors cards images, that I wasn't sure what his
choice of materials were ( see below).  I did notice that in the "Age of
Reptiles" book by Scully, Zallinger, Hickey and Ostrom published in 1990,
pg.15 makes reference to him painting the macquette for the mural in
"tempera" and says the mural itself was rendered as a "fresco secco", which
apparently is a technique whereby tempera is applied with an adhesive
binder, or to an underpainting containing an adhesive on a moistened plaster
ground / surface. I've noticed in the occasionally published blow-ups of his
smaller published works a cross-hatch application of paint, which would be
in line with tempera as well.  When I saw the mural macquette in the
Czerkas' travelling exhibit "Dinosaurs Past and Present" about 10 years ago,
I got the impression of a smoother overall rendering and thought it was in
oil, however I just dug up the checklist for the exhibit and it confirms the
study was done in 1940, 82 1/2 x 12 1/8 inches, Egg tempera on masonite.  I
see included in the exhibit were "Diplodocus", " Anatosaurus" and
"Protoceratops", also in egg termpera (tea card images) although they do not
list the support. I've written a letter to David Hart at his Brooke Bond
site and perhaps will find out more.

Cheers,

Mike S.