RE: feathered ornithopods?

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
Williams, Tim
Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2002 3:03 PM
To: 'MariusRomanus@aol.com '
Cc: 'dinosaur@usc.edu'
Subject: RE: feathered ornithopods?

"Kris" wrote:

> > (although who knows exactly what animals the Koonwarra feathers, deep
> > in polar hypsilophodontid territory, came from?)
>
> I never heard of this....... If someone could fill me in please, I'd
> really appreciate it.

Koonwarra is a place in southeastern Australia ... imprints of feathers have
been found here dated at Early Cretaceous age ... these feathers have
assumed to belong to Cretaceous birds ...<<

They are bird feathers. Nothing about them says differently.

>> but Dann suggested they may belong
to hypsilophodontids ... bones and teeth of hypsilophodontids have also been
found in this part of Australia from the same time and place ...
southeastern Australia was very cold at this time ... it lay much further
south and so was situated much closer to the South Pole giving this part of
the world long polar winters...<<

I don't buy this polar winters theory. The paleo botanist shows a warm
climate. There is possible permafrost 'geology' but the 'geology' could have
been done by other factors (pers. comm.. Ralph Molnar). I talked to him
about this recently. The thing is Australia was always in the lower southern
hemisphere. Cambrian to now. Placoderms, eurypterids, ammonites, mosasaurs,
plesiosaurs, sauropods, labyrinthodons, theropods, you name it, lived in
Australia way down under. I don't get why the Early Cretaceous is
specifically targeted for being 'cold' when all the time period it was down
there.

How much snow does it get now or how cold? The modern world is much colder
than was during the Mesozoic.

>> for several months of the year in fact ...
so small dinosaurs (like the Aussie hypsilophodontids) may have required an
insulatory body covering too ... at least during the polar winter.

Hope that ... helps.<<

Tim

Tracy L. Ford
P. O. Box 1171