Richardoestesia vs. Ricardoestesia (again)

From: Ben Creisler bh480@scn.org
Richardoestesia vs. Ricardoestesia (again)

I've been reviewing page-proofs for somebody else's book
on dinosaurs, and had to deal with the Richardoestesia vs.
Ricardoestesia mess again. I would also note at least two
recent papers that use the spelling Richardoestesia (one
in the Journal of Paleontology, and one in Comptes Rendus
Palevol).  This issue was discussed back in Feb. 2001, and
my position remains that the spelling Richardoestesia is
the one to use. (my comments:
http://www.cmnh.org/dinoarch/2001Feb/msg00768.html and
George's reply:
http://www.cmnh.org/dinoarch/2001Feb/msg00772.html)

I think some additional points are worth making.
As far as I can determine, George qualifies as the "First
Reviser" for the name as of the publication of Mesozoic
Meanderings # 2 first edition (dated Oct. 24, 1991). On
page 127 he lists Richardoestesia Currie, Rigby & Sloan,
1990 as the correct spelling. Ricardoestesia Currie,
Rigby, & Sloan, 1990 [sic] is indicated immediately below
as a misspelling. Under ICZN Art. 24.2.3, the first author
to have cited two alternate spellings of a name together
and to have selected one spelling as correct qualifies as
the First Reviser.  Under 32.5.1, this spelling could only
be changed if it is determined to be "incorrect"--meaning
there is evidence of an inadverent error in the original
publication itself  "without recourse to any external
source of information." Crucially, "incorrect
transliteration or latinization" is not considered an
inadvertent error.
As I pointed out back in Feb. 2001, "Richardus" is a
perfectly good latinization for Richard, and one widely
used in Medieval and later Latin literature. Since the
name was intended to honor Richard Estes, the latinized
form Richardoestesia is perfectly good and not in any way
readable as "inadvertent error." If one of the authors of
the original paper wanted Ricardoestesia instead, his wish
qualifies as an "external source of  information" which
can't be used, since it's not mentioned in the original
paper. Moreover, the senior author on the original
Richardoestesia paper was Phil Currie, who has used the
spelling Richardoestesia in other papers he has authored
or coauthored.

Frankly, I can't find any basis in the ICZN for switching
the spellings in later editions of Mesozoic Meanderings.
George had in fact already been the First Reviser on the
name in Oct. 1991. Since generic names differing by one
letter are not homonyms, the coexistence of
Richardoestesia and Ricardoestesia for the same taxon is
becoming more confusing as time goes on, especially with
electronic data retrieval and online databases.  As the
situation is shaping up, nearly all technical papers are
using Richardoestesia and a few books have used
Ricardoestesia. Maybe the ICZN will have to make a
decision, but it seems like a lot of fuss over an issue
that was settled just fine by George in 1991.