Re: Richardoestesia vs. Ricardoestesia (again)

In a message dated 7/19/02 3:39:29 PM Pacific Daylight Time, bh480@scn.org
writes:

<< This issue was discussed back in Feb. 2001, and
 my position remains that the spelling Richardoestesia is
 the one to use.  >>

Ya know, I'm still baffled that some people want to retain the spelling
Richardoestesia in favor of Ricardoestesia, despite the fact that this is
>not< the authors' originally intended spelling and that one may, within the
context of ICZN rules, formally change it to the spelling that the authors
did originally intend. What's in it for anyone to prefer Richardoestesia over
Ricardoestesia? The former name was inserted via a global replace (or some
such mechanical word processing) by an overzealous typesetter or editor at
Cambridge University Press, not by the authors. I realize that, had this
replacement been perfect, we would be stuck under ICZN rules with
Richardoestesia forever; but it was not perfect, and the spelling
Ricardoestesia occurs in the original paper as evidence that puts the
spelling Richardoestesia in doubt. This gives us the necessary loophole
through which we can push the authors' original intent. This issue currently
requires a proactive response within the dinosaur community, because the
wrong spelling continues to appear in the literature and will thus gain
weight year by year. For example, when I indexed the book Mesozoic Vertebrate
Life for Indiana University Press, I brought the issue to the attention of
the editors and thus had the correct spelling inserted everywhere in the text
(as far as I have looked, anyway).

With regard to me as "first revisor" when I chose Richardoestesia over
Ricardoestesia in MM #2 first printing, that was simply an acceptance of the
predominance of the wrong spelling in the paper. This is trivial, not a
revision of the name. The first >revision< of the name was published by me in
MM #2 second printing, and that is what makes me the first revisor. When I
changed/revised the spelling to Ricardoestesia, I actually hoped that the
entry in MM #2 first printing would not be noticed and that I wouldn't be
compelled to fight myself, but alas and sigh, this has proved not to be the
case.

With regard to the Latin formations "Richardus" versus "Ricardus," these
don't matter in light of what the authors intended. I agree that either
construction is acceptable, but note that Ameghino preferred "Ricardo-" when
he coined those funny names, and that was the style the authors wished to
emulate. Or so Robert Sloan told me way back in 1991 when he saw the entry
for "Richardoestesia" in MM #2 first printing and started me on this little
crusade.