RE: Psittacosaurus bristle article in Naturwissenschaften online

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002 20:12:05
 Tracy L. Ford wrote:
>How many described Psittacosaurus specimens have the ossified tendons? I
>don't recall seeing any 'Liaoning' specimens with them. Sure small patches
>of skin impressions, but not the tendons. Glad to see the paper is finally
>out though.

Interesting observation.  _Psittacosaurus meileyingensis_, which comes from
Liaoning (Jiufotang, not Yixian) does not preserve any dorsal vertebrae, but
its caudal vertebrae show no sign of ossified tendons.  Of course, considering
that _P. xinjiangensis_ is the only known psittacosaurid to possess the tendons
along its caudals, this doesn't necessarily mean much.

_Psittacosaurus_ sp., described by Xu and Wang (1998) from the lower part of
the Yixian has only a few presacrals preserved, but there does appear to be a
few ossified tendons near the ilium (personal observation...so I could be
wrong).  This is supposidely a "primitive" psittacosaurid based on its weak
jugal horns, but as of yet it has not been given its own species name.  Perhaps
this is _P. lengi_ that Alessandro Marisa mentioned?

Other than that, _P. mongoliensis_, _P. sinensis_, and _P. youngi_ do have the
tendons preserved.  They are also apparently present in  _P. neimongoliensis_,
but the authors are somewhat confusing in that regard.

Steve

---
Steve Brusatte-DINO LAND PALEONTOLOGY
SITE: http://www.geocities.com/stegob

Supercharge your e-mail with a 25MB Inbox, POP3 Access, No Ads
and NoTaglines --> LYCOS MAIL PLUS.