Re: Richardoestesia vs. Ricardoestesia (again)

In a message dated 7/21/02 1:31:21 AM EST, bh480@scn.org writes:

<< From: Ben Creisler bh480@scn.org
 I guess George and I are reading the ICZN differently. The
 First Reviser doesn't have to state explicitly "I am
 acting as First Reviser" or "This is a revision to so-and-
 so's zoological name." >>

Ben is right, but the question is how to bend and stretch the rules in order
to install the spelling that the original describers desired as the correct
spelling of the name. As I said before, in 1992 I had hoped my original
notation, compiled before I knew what spelling the authors had originally
intended, would be overlooked and the subsequent revision would be accepted.
Apparently Ben has some kind of fixation on >not< doing this, which is his
privilege. As for me, whenever I encounter the spelling Richardoestesia in
works that I edit or have other input to, I will do what I can to change it
to Ricardoestesia, and I would urge everyone who writes or edits papers on
dinosaurs to also do this. If, in the end, it requires a petition to the ICZN
to formally suppress the unintended spelling that some joker at Cambridge
inserted into the text after the authors had proofed it, I'll try that; but
meanwhile, everyone in the dinosaur community can, by simply using
Ricardoestesia instead of Richardoestesia from now on, eventually bring about
this correction without recourse to petitions. If Ricardoestesia becomes the
preponderant spelling, this will carry greater weight than would a strict
application of the first revisor principle.