RE: Antarctica moved too (was RE: Warm southern winters)

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
Williams, Tim
Sent: Monday, July 22, 2002 8:11 AM
To: 'dinosaur@usc.edu'
Subject: Antarctica moved too (was RE: Warm southern winters)

Tracy Ford wrote:

> It is possible that the unique conditions of polar WARMTH (my
> stress on this) coupled with a strongly seasonal light regime favours
> these plants...
>
> Hmmm...a warm winter...hmm...

I'm not at all surprised that most of Antarctica experienced warm weather
back in the Crecaeous.  Just as Australia was in a different position back
in the Cretaceous, so was Antarctica.  The continent of Antarctica had yet
to occupy its current position straddling the South Pole.  According to one
interpretation, back in the Early Cretaceous only about a third to a half of
Antarctica resided within the current bounds of the Antarctic Circle (~66
degrees lat. S). <<

True, but a warmer Earth would have made it difficult (as seen in the
articles that I posted).

>>After the two continents detached from each other, Australia migrated
northwards and Antarctica headed southwards.  One got warmer, the other got
colder.  (Okay, it's a bit more complicated than that, but that's the
general idea.)<<

I take it it was Antarctica that got colder? :0 (just kidding).

>>  But during the Cretaceous, Antarctica would be expected to
have climatic conditions not too different from most of Australia.<<

Most of Australia? I don't know Australia's climatic (except for that huge
desert), and the outer northern (?) crocodile infested area, but there is a
more temperate forest there right? Where is it?

  >>For both continents, only a portion lay within the present-day Antarctic
Circle.
This corresponds to the southeastern corner of Australia, and the adjacent
portion of Antarctica. <<

So, let me understand what your saying. The southeastern corner of Australia
and the adjacent portion of Antarctica were next to each other. The
Australian side had permafrost, while the adjacent Antarctica, which was
real close to each other, was more tropical? Ok...

Well, as I can say is for now (and you never know, I may one day change my
mind but I doubt it), you can put frost on the ground and feathers on what
ever animal you want. I just don't buy it.

Tim

Tracy L. Ford
P. O. Box 1171
Poway Ca  92074