Re: Moroccan noasaurid?

Mickey Mortimer (Mickey_Mortimer111@msn.com) wrote:

<Wouldn't the "broad elongated" olfactory bulbs suggest a
non-maniraptoran, as maniraptorans were reducing these structures
(Wharton, 2001).  Also, you don't explain why the cerebral hemispheres are
so small if this is a maniraptoran.>

  What could be cerebral hemispheres are small. I also suggested that
these may be part of the dorsal cranial sinus system, part of a dorsally
pneumatic braincase as in maniraptorans. This is merely plausible, and
suggests perhaps a brain cooling function in analogy to that of some birds
with trabecular dorsal frontals. As for the olfactory bulbs, typically
there is a trend to reduced them with increased eyes, inversely for
increased sense of smell. Absence of tiny bulla for proposed endocranial
width does not rule out maniraptoran affinity.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden