AGNOSPHITYS RESOLVED, THALASSODROMEUS

The etymological problem over _Agnosphitys_ vs
_Agnostiphys_ has now been resolved as the following is
out...

Fraser, N. C. 2002. Corrigendum. _Palaeontology_ 45, 843.

Fraser states that _Agnosphitys_ is the correct spelling and
is derived from Greek for unknown (agnostos) and father or
begetter (phitys).

The same issue includes...

Steyer, J. S. 2002. The first articulated trematosaur
'amphibian' from the Lower Triassic of Madagascar:
implications for the phylogeny of the group.
_Palaeontology_ 45, 771-793.

Moving on to pterosaurs, I am not sure that Kellner and
Campos are right about _Thalassodromeus_ being a skim-
feeder. There are various reasons for this. There are also
some problems in distinguishing this taxon from
_Tupuxuara_ (compare what Kellner and Campos say about
character states on the palate of _Tupuxuara_ in the
_Thalassodromeus_ paper with what Kellner has said in
previous papers) and from other azhdarchoids. Finally,
some restorations I have seen depict the crest in
_Thalassodromeus_ the same as it appears on the fossil
skull. However, exceptionally well-preserved 'tapejarid'
skulls (several studies now indicate that 'Tapejaridae' is a
grade of basal azhdarchoids) - including those of _Tapejara
imperator_ and a new genus - reveal extensive soft-tissue
extensions to the bony crest, as are in fact now seen widely
in crested pterosaurs. Thus the leading edge at least of the
crest in _Thalassodromeus_ may have been continued by
soft tissue.

Fabio wrote...

> Actually we have more (see Kellner & Tomida, 1990).
> Cearadactylus atrox is absolutely poorly known. Only an
> incomplete and unprepared skull, deposited in a private
> collection in Brazil, is known and has been described in a
> short note (in Portuguese) in 1985. I published a partial
> skull as Cearadactylus? ligabuei in 1994. Not a lot.

Dave Unwin has a major revision of _Cearadactylus_ in
press: I'd better say no more. For various reasons I and
various colleagues have wondered if the holotype of _C.
atrox_ is a composite - it is now clear that this is definitely
not the case however.

Darren Naish
University of Portsmouth
Burnaby Building
Burnaby Road                           email:
darren.naish@port.ac.uk
PO1 3QL                                www.palaeobiology.co.uk