RE: Como Bluff - Nodosaur Question

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
littlejo@ctc.net
Sent: Wednesday, July 24, 2002 6:53 AM
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Como Bluff - Nodosaur Question

What published papers, articles, or books provide a
detailed
description of the Nodosuars found at Como Bluff in
Wyoming?

I am specifically interested in the source of information
for
the discussion at the bottom og page page 40 of "the
Dinosaur
Heresies" by R. T. Bakker of the "armor-plated
nodosaur"
found "lying on its back" by Dr. Marsh?

Yours,

Keith Littleton
New Orleans, LA

I believe he's actually talking about Nodosaurus itself. It was found in the
Como Bluff area, but the exact locality is unknown. I've seen the type armor
and it really really looks like Sauropelta-like (or should I say Sauropelta
looks Nodosaurus-like?).

Genus: Nodosaurus MARH, 1889
Etymology: Latin, nodus, "know, knob", and Greek, sauros, "lizard"; "knob
lizard".
= Modosaurus KEYES, 1894 (sic)

Species: textilis MARSH, 1889
Etymology:
= Modosaurus textilis KEYES, 1894 (sic)

Holotype: YPM 1815

Locality: Probably sec. 9 or 10, T22N, R76W, Albany County, Wyoming. (was 1
1/2 miles east and south of the famous Quarry 13, on an easterly slope of
the Como anticline, 6 miles east of Medicine Bow, Albany County (Carbon
County, Ostrom, 1965), sec. 7, T77N, R22W,  Wyoming.)

Horizon: Belle Fourche Member, Frontier Formation.

Biostratigraphy:

Age: Middle Cenomanian Stage, Uppermiddle Gallic Subepoch, Lowermost Gulf
Epoch, Middle Cretaceous.

(Was Uncertain, may be from (?) Dakota Formation, Thermopolis Formation or
Mowry Formation, Albian-Early Cenomanian, Late Cretaceous.)

Material: Skull fragment, 3 dorsal, 13 caudal vertebrae, sacrum, ribs,
fragments of scapulae, both ilia, fragments of humerus, partial left radius
and ulna, metacarpals, left femur, 2 tibiae, partial left fibula, almost
complete left pes and armor, keeled plate, caudal plate and a spine-like
plate.

Carpenter, K., and Kirkland, J. I., 1998, Review of Lower and Middle
Cretaceous Ankylosaurs From North America: In: Lower and Middle Cretaceous
Terrestrial Ecosystems, edited by Lucas, S. G., Kirkland, J. I., and Estep,
J. W., New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science, Bulletin n. 14, p.
249-270.

Lull, R. S., 1921, The Cretaceous Armored Dinosaur, Nodosaurus textilis
MARSH: The American Journal of Science, 5th series, v. 1, n. 2, p. 97-126.

Marsh, O. C., 1889, Notice of New American Dinosaur: American Journal of
Science, 3rd series, v. 37, p. 331-336.

Tracy L. Ford
P. O. Box 1171
Poway Ca  92074