RE: Australian Dropstones & misc.refs

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
Dann Pigdon
Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 8:31 PM
To: DML
Subject: Australian Dropstones & misc.refs

After much frantic searching, I finally tracked down a published ref to
the South Australian dropstones:

Vickers-Rich, Rich & Rich 1996 "Australia's Lost World". Kangaroo Press.
p.90

"Professor Larry Frakes and those working with him at the University of
Adelaide think that they have fairly good evidence that the sea had
icebergs in it at times - at least in the area around northern South
Australia. They have found big rocks, which they call dropstones, in a
very fine sediment called the Bulldog Shale (actually petrified mud).
'How did those rocks get in that mud?' they asked themselves. One
sensible explanation that they came up with was that icebergs had
floated out into the sea carrying rocks they had picked up as they moved
along the ground when the ice was part of a glacier..."

This book is aimed at a younger audience (but is full of great pics), so
there are no specific references. However, the following reference may
be related to this:

Frakes, L.A & J.E.Francis 1988 "A guide to Phanerozoic cold polar
climates from high-latitude ice-rafting in the Cretaceous". Nature
333:547-549<<

Ok, explain to me how this works? For an iceberg to move in the ocean it has
to be from a deep or deeper shallow water to move. How much do you see above
the water? Is it 10% or more? Then the sea water has to cover the 'mud' area
right, or else how else can the iceberg move over the mud? Did if flow up
river? Is the mud from freshwater or salt?

As for other references:<<

Thanks, I'll check to see if I have these, if not I will :)

>>Chinsamy, Rich & Vickers-Rich 1998 "Polar dinosaur bone histology".
Journal Vert.Paleo. 18:385

Constantine, A., A.Chinsamy, T.H.Rich, & P.Vickers-Rich. 1998.
Periglacial environments and polar dinosaurs. South African Journal of
Science 94:137-141.

Douglas, J.G., & G.E.Williams. 1982. Southern polar forests: The Early
Cretaceous floras of Victoria and their palaeoclimatic significance.
Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology 39:171-185.

Parrish, J.T., R.A.Spicer, J.G.Douglas, T.H.Rich, & P.Vickers-Rich.
1991. Continental climate near the Albian South Pole and comparison with
climate near the North Pole. Geological Society of America, Abstracts
with Programs 23:A302.

Rich, P.V., Rich, T.H., Wagstaff, B.E., McEwen-Mason, J., Douthitt,
C.B., Gregory, R.T. and Felton, E.A. 1988. Evidence for low temperatures
and biologic diversity in Cretaceous high latitudes of Australia.
Science 242:1403-1406.

Rich, T.H., Rich, P.V., Wagstaff, B., McEwen-Mason, J., Douthitt, C.B.
and Gregory, R.T. 1989. Early Cretaceous biota from the northern side of
the Australo-Antarctic Rift Valley. In J.A.Crame (ed.) Origins and
Evolution of the Antarctic Biota. Geological Society Special Publication
47:121-130.

Vickers-Rich, P., T.H.Rich & A.Constantine 1999 "Environmental setting
of the polar faunas of southeastern Australia and adaptive strategies of
the dinosaurs". Proceedings of the 2nd Gondwanan Dinosaur Symposium.
Y.Tomida, T.H.Rich & P.Vickers-Rich (Eds), pp.181-195. National Science
Museum Monographs No.15, Tokyo

That last one is probably the best and most up-to-date. I also recommend
the chapter "Getting through the winter" In "Dinosaurs of Darkness",
which discusses things at length (expecially the cryoturbation sites,
of which three are now known in the Flat Rocks area).<<

Got it, in fact I quoted a the labyrinthodon alturinative explanation by
just Patrica Vickers-Rich from that very same volume.

When in doubt: http://www.alphalink.com.au/~dannj/refs.htm

Tracy L. Ford
P. O. Box 1171
Poway Ca  92074