Re: Jeholornis - long-tailed bird in today's Nature

Mickey Mortimer (Mickey_Mortimer111@msn.com) wrote:

<If "Shenzhouraptor" [sic, not published] and Jeholornis are synonymous,
as I suspect, the Shenzhouraptor specimen has quite obvious flight
feathers.  I think a better defense would be to claim it's a bird.
Certainly more birdy than Caudipteryx, which they manage to believe in.
The tail's really not very deinonychosaurian, lacking the elongate
prezygopophyses and chevrons of the clade.  The chevrons are long enough
to contact and perhaps interlock with each other, the prezygopophyses are
only about a third as long as the centra.  Will say more on the taxon
later, perhaps tonight or tomorrow night.>

  The paper states that the prezygapophyses and chevrons are cranially
lengthened, which does nto suppooirt your claim. Again, haven't seen the
paper. Similarly, the first taxon abopve was claimed to be published soon,
with a translation later _possibly_ in _Nature_. This would seem to be
interesting if the English version got here first. We may have two groups
publishing the two taxca and not know what the left hand is doing when the
right is dipping into _Nature_.

  My post was also meant to be a joke, not serious. :)

  Besides, not to be pedantic, but what's a bird? lol

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden