POEKILOPLEURON

Stephan (note spelling Jaime) Pickering wrote...

>  There is every reason to believe that the Eudes-
> Deslongchamps 1838 taxon was a specimen of
> Megalosaurus bucklandii -- for those
> interested, I can post in this forum an abbreviated analysis of the
> figured specimens with comparisons to other taxa -- but, in the
> absense of the original hypodigm, such a conclusion would be a guess.

A cast of the original specimen has been discovered by
Ronan Allain and Dan Chure and a description is in press
for _Palaeontology_. This includes the gastralia, but am not
sure about the rest of the material figured by Eudes-
Deslongchamps. Dan has been using the name
_Poekilopleuron_ for the specimen in various of his papers,
indicating that he thinks it is distinct from other taxa, and
Ronan certainly thinks it's distinct. The new French
specimen (which includes extensive skull material to say
the least) is in press for JVP. This will settle most doubts.

A redescription of all British megalosaur material (and
_Eustreptospondylus_) is in the works following the phd
work of Laura nee Canning (sorry, don't recall her married
name) but will be some time before it's out (Ronan also
looked at several of the same taxa). I have informed the
people concerned of Mr Pickering's writings on
megalosaurs.

Darren Naish
University of Portsmouth
Burnaby Building
Burnaby Road                           email:
darren.naish@port.ac.uk
PO1 3QL                                www.palaeobiology.co.uk