RE: Triceratops Skull

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu] On Behalf
Of Dino Guy Ralph
Sent: Thursday, July 25, 2002 2:17 AM
To: sdhughes@ualberta.ca
Cc: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: Triceratops Skull

Shara (sdhughes) wrote:

> I have recently attended a introductory University course on the
evolution of
SNIP

I have spent some time looking into the resources I have and it seems to
me that the frill primarily provides a balance to the large skull. I do
not have the wherewithall to know the exact weights of the frill and
pack portion of the skulls wrt the weight of the forward part of the
skull so I could very well be out inn left field. Anyhow the biggest
reason that I think that the frill provides balance is that the
ceratopsids do not have a high muscle buildup over the shoulder like
every other grazer that I could find. The upper part of the vertebrae
are relatively small and more or less constant along the back. So
therefore it appears to me that the skull is balanced and the normal
additional muscle is not needed. Other uses such as display are
secondary in my opinion.

OK shoot.
paul