Re: Quetzalcoatlus questions

Greg is correct in all that he said in his last post.  It should be noted that
with probable torso proportions (based on a morph of the more numerous Qsp
remains) and consequent aerobic capacity and on probable flight style, there
would not have been much need for longer endurance flight muscle fibers in
northropi.  I think most of us have been assuming a preponderance of short burst
fibers in these animals for some time. Using my preliminary weight estimates for
northropi rather than his, and using a power rule of about 2.77 rather than the
square-cube rule, then a 12 meter animal of Qn proportions would be expected to
mass at least 190 Kg.  Since there is a substantial increase in torso and inner
arm robustness in these animals with increasing wingspan, I think his estimate
of
250 Kg for a 12 meter azhdarchid is quite reasonable and it certainly would be
capable of effective flight.  Performance of the new ultra-light SparrowHawk
sailplane should be similar in most respects (excepting Vne) to these big
azhdarchids.

As an aside, as part of the MacCready half-scale  QN flying replica project back
in the mid-80's, Greg did some speculative cross-sections of the animal's
musculature at different locations in the body.  I don't think they've ever been
published, and some of it has been superseded by later findings, but it is
beautiful work, absolutely magnificent.

GSP1954@aol.com wrote:
snipped