Re: Megalosaurids & Dinosaur Genera List update #187

In a message dated 7/26/02 4:52:51 PM EST, TiJaWi@agron.iastate.edu writes:

<< Perhaps not so odd, since Peter Dodson himself (who named and described
 _Avaceratops) prefers the original and etymologically imperfect _lammersi_
 rather than _lammersorum_.  As such, it represents a completely different
 case to the _Ricardoestesia_/_Richardoestesia_ fiasco. >>

I see. Because >Peter Dodson< prefers the incorrectly formed name, that
supersedes the ICZN rule on using the plural genitive when honoring more than
one person (Lammers >family,< as stated in the paper). But if >Phil Currie,
Keith Rigby, and Robert Sloan< prefer the spelling Ricardoestesia, which
occurs in their paper except where it was destroyed by an editor with a
global-replace function in his word processor, then they are stuck with a
name they did not create and do not desire in the literature. I had no idea
that Peter had this much control over naming dinosaur taxa.