Re: Theses and Megalosaurids

Mickey Mortimer (Mickey_Mortimer111@msn.com) wrote:

<Dan Chure himself considers his thesis a "discussable topic", as seen by
his statement, "The dissertation is publicly available and can be cited,
so I see no harm in discussing its contents."  So I fail to see the reason
for your complaint.  The only complaints Tom, Tracy and others have had is
with me diagnosing and/or repeating the names of nomina nuda mentioned in
theses. Which I did not do here.>

  This is close enough. I never said you cannot talk about the thesis, but
taxonomy must be restricted. Here is the rest of what Dan said:

  "The dissertation is publicly available and can be cited, so I see no
harm in discussing its contents.  Saying it is known as "Alshansaurus" is,
of course, incorrect, as a dissertation does not meet the standards for
the ICZN code.  I would have preferred to have it simply referred to as a
new genus rather than mention the name itself, [....]"

  and referenced below in a post email sent to Tracy Ford.

  http://www.cmnh.org/dinoarch/2002Feb/msg00986.html

  I was, however, rather harsh on this matter given past arguments over
the availability and freedom of theses-written nomenclature. That Chure's
work recognizes an intent to rename some taxa is all fine, but it's
cutting it really close when you come one syllable from the name. Internet
chatter is evident that not two days after it was mentioned on the list,
the so-called new species of Indosaurus was recorded on three different
sites at least, one German, one Finnish, and one English that I note. It
spreads fast, and easy. There are a lot of international "lurkers" on the
list that monitor the contents for these purposes. Caution....

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden