Stokesosaurus (was RE: Megalosaurids & Dinosaur Genera List update #187)

> From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> Williams, Tim
>
> > Stokesosaurus probably is (Holtz, 2001).
>
> Unfortunately, the assembled material for _Stokesosaurus_ - pelvic bones
> (including the type), part of an upper jaw, braincase and tail bones - may
> not belong to one taxon.  Although all the bones come from the Morrison
> Formation, none of the material was found associated AFAIK.  The
> ilium (sort
> of) and braincase (definitely) look tyrannosaurid-like,

Actually, as Rauhut and I (different papers in press) have shown, even the
ilium by itself (i.e., the type material) has derived features otherwise
found only in tyrannosaurids and Eotyrannus.

Agree with the braincase.  Would be great if it were.

> Nevertheless, the braincase (basicranium; UUVP 2455) does document the
> presence of tyrannosauroids in the Late Jurassic.  Whether or not
> it belongs
> to _Stokesosaurus_ is another question.

Agreed.  Furthermore, there are tyrannosauroid-type premaxillary teeth
(described as "dromaeosaurid" teeth in Bakker's Gaia paper) from the
Morrison.  My suspicion (no more than that) is that THOSE teeth belong to
the ilium and/or braincase, and that the premaxilla referred to
Stokesosaurus is another animal altogether.

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
                College Park, MD  20742
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~jmerck/eltsite