Re: Dinosaur Genera List update #187

In a message dated 7/26/02 4:48:21 PM EST, Mickey_Mortimer111@msn.com writes:

<< > Luanpingosaurus Cheng vide Chen, 1996 [nomen nudum]
 >     L. jingshanensis Cheng vide Chen, 1996
 > NOTE: Wang et al., 2000 (Vertebrata PalAsiatica 38: 92) list
 Luanpingosaurus
 > as a synonym of Psittacosaurus (R. E. Molnar, pers. comm.).

 At last!  That genus can be deleted from the Dinosauria incertae sedis
 file....
 But is it a different species of Psittacosaurus (P. jingshanensis), or a
 junior synonym of another species? >>

Haven't seen Wang et al. yet (Tracy Ford should have it, since he subscribes
to Vertebrata PalAsiatica), or if I have, I don't recall it. The Chen
citation is:

Chen Pei-ji, 1996. "Nonmarine Jurassic Strata of China," in M. Morales, ed.,
The Continental Jurassic, Museum of Northern Arizona Bulletin 60: 395-412.

The Luanpingosaurus jingshanensis entry is on p. 408 at the bottom of col. 2.
Luanpingosaurus jingshanensis is listed as from the Upper Jurassic Huajiying
Formation, northern Hebei Province, China. If it is indeed a synonym of
Psittacosaurus, or is a psittacosaurid, then it's an Upper Jurassic one and
evidently the earliest known.