Re: Erliansaurus bellamanus

Kazuo Takahashi wrote-

> A NEW THERIZINOSAUROID (DINOSAURIA,THEROPODA) FROM THE UPPER CRETACEOUS
IREN
> DABASU FORMATION OF NEI MONGOL
> XU Xing, ZHANG Xiao-Hong, Paul SERENO, ZHAO Xi-Jin, KUANG Xue-Wen, HAN Jun
&
> TAN Lin
> VERTEBRATA PALASIATICA vol.40 No.3 pp.228-240
> Abstract
> A partial skelton is described from the Upper Cretaceous Iren
> Dabasu Fromation of Nei Mongol that represents a new therizinosauroid
> theropod, Erliansaurus bellamanus gen. et sp. nov.
> Distinctive characteristics of the new species include
> enlarged nutritional foramen on anterior caudals, prominent
> crest-like posterior trochanter on the humerus bordered
> medially by an oval depression, rugose swelling located dorsal
> to the ischiadic peduncle on the lateral surface of the ilium,
> posterior margin significantly higher than anterior margin on
> the fibular proximal end, and distally located hypertrophied
> anterior trochanter on the fibula.
> Preliminary analysis suggests that E. bellamanus represents
> an intermediate taxon between the primitive
> therizinosauroids and the advanced therizinosauroidae.
> The discovery of E. bellamanus provides important
> information regarding the diversity within Therizinosauroidea.

Segnosaur from the Iren Debasu Formation announced by Xu, Zhang, Sereno,
Kwang and Tan, that is intermediate between basal forms and
therizinosaurids?  Sound familiar anyone?  Good to see another segnosaur
described, wonder if the forelimb elements and caudals associated with
Alectrosaurus belong to this taxon.  Also, I wonder if Erliansaurus is
compared to Alxasaurus.  The lack of comparison between Neimongosaurus and
Alxasaurus was confusing given their close phylogenetic position.

Mickey Mortimer