RE: Richardoestesia vs. Ricardoestesia (again)

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
Jaime A. Headden
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 4:44 PM
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Cc: david.marjanovic@gmx.at
Subject: Re: Richardoestesia vs. Ricardoestesia (again)

<Now we're splitting words... taxonomy has got far. OK, the lector
deliberately, not inadvertently, gave the instruction to replace "Ricar-"
with "Richar-", but he inadvertently forgot to ask the authors if it was
really their intent not put an h in there, respectively he (er, or she)
inadvertently didn't get the idea that the h-less version could be
intended and correct. Is that fine? :-)>

  You assume the editor and proofer had any action in this, and that this
was not produced from the original manuscript, becuase someone said they
wanted a different spelling and didn't, purpotedly, know how this
happened.<<

Not assuming. The authors DID, I repeat DID not have an 'h' in the name. It
WAS, I repeat WAS the editors or whoever at the publishers who put in the
'h'. It was NOT the authors. I hope that is clear enough.

 Personal communication does not them permit us to know how the
error occured, and this leaves us with only the presented facts. Neither
Currie, Rigby, or Sloan publish an _erratum_ on the issue, apparently
either unaware of it for any time (until George communicated to Stephen)
or accepting the issue. That Currie in various papers has used the
spelling with "h" indicates that he has accepted the issue and even with
George as first revisor. No other data are known or published which might
permit us to review the process for discussion, and systematic use of the
name in scientific papers would now seem to disfavor use of any other
version of the name.<<

Talk to Bob Sloan and see what he says. That should end this...

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden

Tracy L. Ford